Since President Obama is open enough to support gay marriage, he should be open enough to support legalized prostitution in America for the following reasons:
1. Most nations of the world have legalized or decriminalized prostitution including most of Europe, New Zealand, Canada, and South America. America is one of the few nations where it is illegal.
2. The United Nations supports decriminalizing prostitution.
3. Prostitution is a victimless crime. Consenting adults should have the right to do what they want with their bodies and under what conditions. Boxers enter a ring despite the physical violence involved. Football players are injured all the time in their profession. Those who work with hazardous materials place themselves at great physical risk. In each case they have made a decision which society accepts and profits from. If a man and a woman enter a financial agreement for sex, it is their choice and their right to do so.
4. Men pay for sex either way. Most men spend lots of money on dates with women with the goal of eventually getting sex. Few men would dare ask a woman to go “Dutch” on a date and even fewer women would agree to go Dutch. Women expect men to pay one way or another. The only difference is that with prostitutes the sex is guaranteed whereas the other way a man could invest his money and get nothing in return.
5. Prostitution is already here in America. It is a multi- billion dollar industry and an estimated 1 in 10 men have paid prostitutes at some point. The rich and powerful use high priced prostitutes all of the time.
6. If all prostitutes went on strike in America it would cause social and economic chaos. Guys who can’t get sex regularly or get the quality of sex they want, will have nowhere to turn. This would cause a multitude of problems. In short, prostitutes provide a valuable service to society. The argument could be made that prostitutes are one of a nation’s most precious resources.
7. Women who need extra cash and can’t get it any other way, at least they would have this option. Many women around the world support themselves and their families through prostitution.
8. It would generate additional tax revenue for the country.
9. Police resources could be directed towards violent criminals instead of harassing prostitutes and the men who use them. Many cops view targeting prostitutes as an easy way to make their arrest quotas. Too many lives and careers have been harmed by police arresting people for this activity.
10. Instead of being stigmatized, prostitutes could have more legal protections.
11. Prostitutes are not on the high risk list for HIV transmission. The simple use of condoms reduces the risk of any disease transmission in all groups whether prostitution is involved or not.
12. In a free society, the government should not dictate what consenting adults can do with their own bodies.
Consenting Adults: Why Prostitution Should Be Legalized in America!
What Is 'The Girlfriend Experience' (GFE)?